Mar. 2, 2017
Dear Mr. Dohmen,
Thank you for your support as a Lifetime Donor to the Wisconsin Historical Society and participation in its President’s Council of the Heritage Circle during the 2015-16 fiscal year.
Private generosity is vital to the Society’s success in connecting its 11,850 members to Wisconsin’s history. Your contribution has proven to be an invaluable part of the Society’s mission to collect, preserve and share the priceless monuments and heirlooms of the Badger State’s rich heritage.
As the Society’s fundraising department, the Wisconsin Historical Foundation is a 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization responsible for generating the gifts that will comprise 40 percent of the Wisconsin Historical Society’s annual budget. Earnings from membership dues, capital projects, gifts and grants reached nearly $4 million last year ($3,922,752), while special gifts totaled $89,394.
The Society has grown to include members from all 72 Wisconsin counties, all 50 states and nine countries, but the Society cannot continue to collect, preserve and share the stories make the state of Wisconsin unique without you.
Your benefactions during the 2015-16 year helped the Society …
- administer programs and services that aided in visitation increasing to 311,000 for 12 sites and museums.
- conclude a seven-year plan voyage to catalog and digitize our 20,000 maps and atlases, which preserved and restored rare editions.
- conduct a pair of oral history projects with African American youth to teach them how to gather and archive stories while interviewing elders in their Madison and Milwaukee communities.
- launch the James Madison Lectures discussing early American History in honor of late University of Wisconsin-Madison historian, Dr. Merrill Jensen.
- see a two-percent increase in gift memberships from 2014-15 as 1,044 were distributed over the last year.
Thank you again for what you have done for the Wisconsin Historical Society over the past year. Let’s make 2016-17 even better!